Saturday, January 05, 2008

Ravelry...

is tha best!

I have been completely obsessed with Ravelry, and have discovered new and useful things about it almost daily. ATM it's knitting and crochet, though I see little reason that it should not expand to incorporate more fibre crafts eventually.

But for the last couple of days, I've got nothing but timeouts on attempting to connect to the site. It's definitely up and running, according to the support people. I did a tracert and a PingPlotter and the problem seems to lie with 2 servers/routers (not too good on the lingo here), in New York and Boston. A little further research reveals that these two are notoriously 'lossy' - i.e., they lose big chunks of your data signal / request to view the site, and as a result the signal makes no sense or disappears en route. In addition, over the last few days WoWers using a similar route have been unable to get into, er, the game. Dungeon. MUDD. Whatever.

Now, I don't suppose there's anything I can do about this. But I have vague recollections - admittedly from sci-fi movies - that it should be possible to re-route your data. It is supposedly how hackers and other snarly geek types continue their nefarious work. They route their virusses etc through umpteen servers, bouncing back and forth in a manner that defies tracking. Evil warmongering teens do this to set off nuclear Armageddon while steel-jawed but slightly dim agents of peace try to stop them, and we are only saved by Mom pulling the computer plug out of the wall until DJ Jr. takes out the trash. But I can find nothing on this anywhere.

I'm slightly burgered here. I was about to post a free pattern of my own devising when this started and I just can't seem to get on with life, or indeed knitting and crochet since. I can't access Ravelry anyway at work - it's filtered out as a spamming site, if you can believe - so I can't even check if it's available there. I've placed requests in various places and am waiting to see if anyone else can get there...

Boo-hoo
K


No comments:

Post a Comment