Thursday, September 04, 2008

There Went The Summer.

Er, well. That was a bit pants, really. July was okay - I even had the beginnings of a decent tan, and managed to get out and about with IBC to do fun Mummy and Baby stuff like going to the pool, etc., but then August came pouring in. I've just had two INSET days at school, with the students returning tomorrow, and I'm sitting here, shivering, in a thick jumper, with the heating on and the rain lashing down outside.

We didn't go anywhere. Despite best plans, we didn't really have the ready cash. I did get to Rhyl on a day trip though. It was a freebie, with a play-scheme attended by my chief bridesmaid's 9-year-old son. She had double-booked herself, so she asked me to go to look out for him. I was a little concerned about IBC's behaviour on a 100-mile coach trip, but he took his cue from the older boy and was very well behaved. He slept briefly both ways, which helped, although a surfeit of pop resulted in a fairly spectacular spew on the way home. Above left is a phone video of IBC and his pal on the beach - it was not warm! - and left is me, knitting a sock on the way to Rhyl.

I managed to finish all but the toe by the time we got back to Birmingham! It is the last of the blue and claret socks I'll be making for now. It's a Fibonacci-striped pair: this time I made the leg and the foot bed half an inch longer each, which allowed for up to 8-row stripes, with no fudging like the first Fibonacci pair I did in blue and yellow. One of the most rubbish pics I've taken with this phone. I've just started on a new series, this time in red and navy.

I've done stunningly little knitting over the holidays. I got an automatic spool-knitter, which I have plans for, of which more later. I did make some i-cord with it, about 1.5m, which was appropriated by IBC and has been pressed into service as a tail when he's playing cats, a tow-rope when he's playing truck rescue, Cranky the Crane's grappler thingy, a belt, hair, a necklace... Following IBC's sudden interest in Spiderman - causing him to purloin various beanies and pull them down over his head as Spidey masks - then pranging into walls - I made him a Spiderman hat in DK using the We Call Him Spidey pattern, a variant on Hello Yarn's Generic Norwegian Hat. At least he can SEE through this hat. Now: I HATE spiders. How much do I love this little boy? 8 spiders' worth, that's how much. And while I was knitting this, every massive spider in the world was attracted to me. I killed two 3-inchers. Seriously. It was like they were coming to worship. GY-Y-Y-YAAAAHHH!

So what have I done with my summer? Wellll... This:



No comments:

Post a Comment